Sunday 31 August 2014

Yorkshire Giants


I've previously had a take it or leave it attitude towards giraffes.  They are odd looking creatures for sure but have never really inspired in me the sense of awe that I feel when seeing a lion or a leopard on TV.   Until recently I had never actually seen a giraffe in the flesh and when I did so, it made me see them in a different light.

These photos were taken at the Yorkshire Wildlife Park near Doncaster back in July.  The all male herd are a fairly recent addition to the park.  During a talk by one of the keepers she stated that they were only allowed to have an all male herd to prove that they could look after them properly.  They were hopeful that they would be able to add females and participate in the worldwide breeding programme.

I took these pictures from an excellent viewing platform approximately twenty feet from the ground. To be able to look down on a giraffe does give you a different perspective than you commonly see in wildlife documentaries.  What struck me straight away was how the shape of the giraffe's head reminded me of those of dragons as depicted in the movies with their long snouts and the horn like ossicones.


 The lumps and bumps, ridges and fur on their faces also added to each individuals character.  I think the one below is a cross breed and certainly stood out from the Rothschild Giraffes in the group.  He certainly had a more "lived in" face.

 



1 comment:

  1. That's a rather tall tale Mr M... Beautiful creatures how could you take them or leave them?

    ReplyDelete