Saturday 16 May 2015

Camouflage

 Spring has brought us our first sightings of the tawny owls in daylight.  We have seen them during the winter months, but only as silhouettes landing on a branch outside of the bedroom window at dusk.  Now that the weather is changing they have returned to their numerous perches in the garden.   They are amazingly well camouflaged against the brown and green of the tree trunks and branches.  If you don't know where to look, then chances are you won't see them.

Thankfully, for myself  if not the owls, blackbirds are very good at finding them.

Blackbirds will try and chase the owls off.  I could hear their alarm calls from up the garden and decided to investigate. Three blackbirds swooped passed me into the trees, chirping furiously trying to mob the owls to move away.  I spotted the lower bird immediately.  The second, I did not notice until I changed position to get a better shot.

































I love the way they keep an eye on what I'm doing whilst pretending that they aren't.  They tolerate me getting fairly close, after all these years I think they understand that I won't do them any harm.

No comments:

Post a Comment