Saturday 5 July 2014

Woodpeckers

It's been a bit of a strange week.  I managed to put my back out which has led to a miserable time doing not very much.  I was lying on the bed feeling sorry for myself when this little fella landed on the tree directly outside the bedroom window.

























Judging by the colour of the plumage I'm guessing that he's a juvenile.  He was perched there for almost ten minutes.  If there was a parent bird around it was well hidden.  We often hear green woodpeckers but rarely see them.

By comparison, the Greater Spotted Woodpecker we see quite frequently, most often at the bird feeders.
I took the picture below a few weeks ago (again from the bedroom window) of a parent and juvenile.  The parent was actually feeding the youngster.

























This one, decided to stop off for a drink.


No comments:

Post a Comment