Sunday 14 December 2014

Going Coastal





























I grew up in a coastal town in Northumberland.  Until I moved "down south" the sea had always been at the most three miles away from where I lived.  Northumberland has a spectacular slice of coastline. with beaches that can be almost deserted.  I tended to take the coast for granted.  Living in Nottinghamshire I realise just how far from the sea I am.

 I took these pictures during a visit back to the North East and we decided to check out Tynemouth.  the name says it all.  Tynemouth is a sought after location and the house prices reflect that.  There is a villagelike feel to the place and it's nice to see independent shops instead of the usual high street clones.  Walking along the sea wall on a brisk winter's day definitely blows the cobwebs away.


The wall has to be able to withstand a battering from the North Sea.




The remains of Tynemouth Priory and the coastguard Watch House.





























If you happen to find yourself in Newcastle, Tynemouth is just a short Metro ride away from the city centre.  Well worth a visit in my opinion, but if it`s Winter make sure you wrap up warm!

1 comment: