Sunday 21 December 2014

Goodfellows






























I don't know how the humble robin ended up becoming synonymous with Christmas time.  It is an all year round garden bird but somehow it nabbed Christmas from the sparrows and the blackbirds.  Perhaps its because they tend to be a little braver than most birds, and will come quite close if there is food to be had.

Whatever the reason, I admire them a great deal.  I have watched them chase off larger birds beneath the bird feeders when the ground is frozen and food is limited.  I smile when I see one perched nearby watching us working in the garden.  They've learnt to let the humans` do the hard work while they reap the rewards.

I was always going to have a soft spot for them as I do share their name (I`ve lost count of the times people have asked me "Where`s Batman?").   Here are a few pictures of them that I've taken over the months.

























No comments:

Post a Comment