Sunday 7 December 2014

Taking a Breather






















Living where we do in a semi rural location, Sparrowhawks are frequent visitors.  The problem is when we do see them they tend to be travelling at speed, swooping in low from around the side of the house to try and catch any unwary birds on the feeders.  Their appearances are fleeting  (the best pictures I have managed of a Sparrowhawk previously can be found here)

Earlier this week, we where having a little lunch  in the kitchen and as I got up to put the plates in the dishwasher I spotted movement, something large which I presumed to be a Woodpigeon dropping into the garden.  As I neared the window I spotted the Sparrowhawk, sitting on the edge of the bird bath.

The camera was close at hand and as I have said before, one of the problems with the Olympus Pen EPL1 is that the menu system isn't really conducive to changing settings on the quick.  I didn't expect our visitor to be around for very long, so most of the photographs taken with it on the birdbath where from further back in the kitchen, shooting between a plant and scales, and also through glass.  There were a lot of hopeless shots, but I did manage to get a couple of decent ones.


Watching the Watchers





















To our surprise, the bird didn't seem to be perturbed that we were watching it.  It sat quite happily with it's tail feathers dipped in the water bath and occasionally looked our way.

After a few minutes it hopped up onto the hedge, allowing me to get some better shots.



























2 comments:

  1. Well spotted and captured, I never have my camera handy when something like that happens or I have the wrong lens on... beautiful creature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was pure luck this time, they are never around long enough to get a good look never mind grab a camera.

    ReplyDelete